Sunday, 27 April 2014

West Highland Way - Days 2 and 3

My second day of walking the West Highland Way was from Kingshouse to Kinlochleven (about 8 miles / 13km). It started off by going up the "Devil's Staircase", which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds and then walks along into a valley on the other side.

Fantastic view to start the day

The scenery was really nice (again) and slightly different to the day before (to keep it interesting).

View from top of Devil's Staircase
Day 2 view
Day 2 view

My last day of hiking was from Kinlochleven to Fort William (about 16 miles / 25 km). I found it to be quite long... especially the last 2 miles, which are on the sidewalk beside a road and then through to the centre of Fort William. But before that point, the walk was great. The scenery was the most varied of the 3 days and the path went through some forested patches, which gave nice relief from the sun. Near the end, when my feet were complaining, I found a great place to stop for a while, with views over Glen Nevis and of Ben Nevis (Britain's tallest mountain). I sat there for probably 30-45 minutes and totally spaced out.

I think this was my favourite view of the
3 days... the photo doesn't really do
 it justice
Day 3 view

 



Ben Nevis


Glen Nevis - the view from
 my spacing out spot





















By the time I reached Fort William (which I keep wanting to call Fort McMurray), I was hot and tired and grubby and happy to be done. I took a photo of the original end of the West Highland Way, which is about a mile before the new end, but by the time I got to the new end of the trail, I just couldn't be bothered. I was more intent on finding my hotel (which, by the way, should really reconsider the "just after the end of the trail" description).

1 comment: