Friday, 29 August 2014

Japan - Aso Crater

After Nagasaki, I was off to the Aso Caldera. The caldera is something like 138km in circumference and has mountains and an active volcano in the middle. To get a good understand, see this picture: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=80027

I was really looking forward to Aso because it was all volcano-y and mountain-y and looked really beautiful in pictures. Unfortunately, it was low cloud and rain while I was there so I didn't get to see the big picture of the surrounding rim of the caldera.

You know how sometimes cloud formations make it look
 like a volcano is erupting? That's not a cloud formation.

It was still good though. I got to go to the edge of the Naka-dake volcano and peer down into the active crater. There's a bus that takes you from the town of Aso to the bottom of a ropeway. You can take the ropeway, walk up a path or drive up a road to get to the rim of the crater. When I first got to the bottom of the ropeway, all access to the crater had been shut due to poisonous gases at the crater but by the time I had looked around (stores and a temple) they had opened the access again so I walked up to the crater. I had originally intended to do a walk around the crater up to the peak of Naka-dake, but I chickened out due to the threat of poisonous gases.  I felt good about my decision when I got back to the bottom of the ropeway and saw that they were stopping people from accessing the crater again. Yay for not dying from poisonous volcanic gases!
 
 
Fallout shelters at rim of crater
 
Naka-dake crater



Naka-dake crater (when the volcanic
activity is low, there's a lake down there)


The less famous,
 non-venting Naka-dake crater

 I also went to another onsen in Aso. I felt less awkward this time and really enjoyed it. I felt so nice afterwards.
 
 
I just like the "no smoking" sign at the rim of  a volcano crater.
Smoking at dinner? Sure! Smoking by volcano that's spewing
more dangerous emissions than your cigarette? No!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment