Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Slight Change of Plans

Right, so maybe a slight change of plans. Instead of driving across Canada, I may be going to Scotland for work until Christmas. It would be for the same company I work for - just in an office in Scotland.  I feel rather like I've sold out (I had freedom within my reach and then I got sucked back in). But I guess everyone has a price and apparently mine is paying me to go live and learn new stuff in a foreign country for a few months. I'm not convinced it's going to happen (some may call that being cynical but I prefer to think of it as being able to learn from previous experiences) but I've committed until Christmas. If it happens, I'll just postpone going to South America until January and then maybe drive across Canada next summer.

In the meantime, I spent last week sorting, packing, getting rid of and moving all of my belongings. I was absolutely amazed with the amount of stuff I had accumulated and how much of it was complete crap. Every day I would take piles of stuff out to either the dumpster, recycling bins, Goodwill, or gracious friends (who were nice enough to make me feel I was doing them a favour by giving them my crap) and then I would come back to my apartment and think "How can there possibly still be so much stuff left?!". I managed to whittle it down to just the things I really wanted to keep and moved them into storage. I've also solemnly sworn to never buy anything else ever again (which is of course a complete farce. I threw out my pillows and while I'm not sure where or when I'm coming back, I am sure I'll be getting new pillows. Plus there were those two books I bought on Saturday...).

Anyhoo, while Scotland gets sorted out or canceled, I will be bunking with my parents in Toronto (thanks Mom and Dad!) and working out of the company's Markham office. It will be nice to spend some time with Toronto area family and friends but I'm also hoping for a fairly quick departure date (to wherever).


1 comment:

  1. I agree that you're not being cynical. I hope the decision gets made quickly!

    ReplyDelete