| Skye Bridge from Kyleakin (where I stayed) |
| Kyleakin Harbour |
The first day I went to the north part of the island (Portree/Staffin/Uig area). There were a couple walks that I had ear marked but I narrowed it down to one (the Quiraing walk) on account of still feeling a bit sick and spending time stopping at lookouts along the way. The walk was great (except for the cliff-top scared-of-heights parts) and the weather was fantastic.
| The Old Man of Storr |
| Coastline |
| Kilt Rock |
| Quiraing (not on a cliff so not freaking out) |
The second day I went to the northwest part of the island (Dunvegan area). I went for a couple of walks, one that got cut short due to horizontal pouring rain and one out to a tidal island (where you can access it across a causeway at low tide). I learned that the right combination of pouring rain and wind causes my waterproof trousers to leak along the crotch seam, which lead to some suspicious looking wet patches on the walking trousers I was wearing underneath. I also got (or noticed) my first ever midge bite. It swelled up impressively (as I thought it might because my first few blackfly bites did the same thing).
| Coastline near Ullinish |
| More coastline near Ullinish |
| My impressive midge bite near my elbow (I had marked the limits with pen to see if it would get bigger overnight... it did). |
The third day I went to the Cuillin Hills, which were actually a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure had it been a clear day, I would have been very impressed but as it was, the hills were hidden by low clouds. I went for a walk and got soaked with rain (again) and decided to call it a day. It would have been nice to do some more walking but it was also nice to go back to my B&B, change into dry clothes and relax.
| On the way up to Coire Lagan |
| On the way up to Coire Lagan |
I think I was a bit surprised by the (lack of) extent of the Cuillin Hills. I'd heard a lot about them (most spectacular peaks in Scotland, etc.), and they were spectacular, but I was expecting more of them. I think it's a result of coming from a big country - everything in Scotland is so localized and distinct. Different parts of Canada are distinct but they're also large and spread out.
| View of the Black Cuillins from Portree |
No comments:
Post a Comment