Friday, 4 July 2014

On the way to Isle of Skye

I rented a car for 6 days for my short road trip to Isle of Skye and gave myself two days to get there (spending a night in Fort William, which is a little over half way there from Edinburgh). It doesn't take that long to get to Skye (it's only a 5 hour drive) but this way I didn't have to leave early in the morning and I could give myself time to stop and explore along the way.

The road I took goes through Glen Coe, which I'd briefly seen when I did part of the West Highland Way so I gave myself some time to stop and do a bit of walking on my way through. It was a beautiful day and I walked around for a couple hours and confirmed that, yeah, Glen Coe is a bit ridiculous! See for yourself:

Glen Coe (it's kind of hard to get a sense of scale... there's a
road cutting across about half way up the left side of the photo)

Glen Coe

Glen Coe

I woke up with a cold and a bit of a fever in Fort William (which made my tiredness and shaky legs in Glen Coe the day before make sense) so I altered my plans a bit for the rest of the journey to Skye. I had planned to stop and do a 3-4 hours walk on the way but figured it wouldn't be such a great idea so I did a bunch of little stops on the way instead. I'm glad it turned out that way because there were SO many places to stop and see beautiful scenery that I'm glad I didn't have to rush it in order to get the walk done. For the record, Glen Shiel is just as ridiculous as Glen Coe.

Loch Lochy (not even joking... that's what it's called)

Glen Shiel

Glen Shiel

Eilean Donan Castle

I also inadvertently ended up at a lookout area that my dad and I stopped at when my parents were over at Christmas. I thought it looked familiar so I looked at a map and realized it was the same one we had visited on a day exploring out of Inverness. It helped connect the dots of Scotland in my head.

Lookout at end of June
Lookout at end of December

No comments:

Post a Comment