Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Thailand - Bangkok

I stayed in Bangkok for 10 days and did a lot despite not leaving my hotel until 11am or noon most days. I actually didn't think I had done much until I sat down to write this. I also didn't think I particularly enjoyed it until I thought about what I had done and then realized I did enjoy a lot of it (I blame it on heat induced crabbiness). Here are the highlights of what I did:
  • The Queen's Gallery (only 2 of 5 floors actually displayed art but I really liked most of the paintings)
  • The Bangkok Art and Cultural Centre (not what I was expecting but had some neat art exhibits and interesting stores)
  • Two day tours - one to Ayutthaya and one to a floating market and the Bridge over the River Kwai (see separate post)
  • The Chatuchak Weekend Market (I thought I was all marketed out but I had such a good time here! It's one of the world's largest markets and I spent 5 hours wandering around it without even noticing and did some fairly restrained souvenir buying)
  • Loi Krathong celebrations (see separate post)
  • Many, many wats (so many that they get their own post)
  • Khao San Road (everyone I had met while travelling seemed to have at least mentioned Khao San Road so I went to check it out. It's just a road filled with souvenir vendors, bars and fast food restaurants. It was a bit seedy and kind of made my skin crawl)
  • Wandering around a few of the neighbourhoods just to see what they were like.
 
 
Here are some pictures:
 
Victory Monument
Along the shores of the Chao Phraya River












Bridge with yellow cables!
China Town alley











One of the exhibits at the BACC.
I think that what Inson was doing
is also known, in lesser-arty
circles, as "doodling".
Inson's ink drawings/doodles
T-shirt at Chatuchak Market

 

1 comment: