Saturday, 6 December 2014

Nepal - Kathmandu

Nbgtr3  ß In case you were wondering, this is what happens when an avocado rolls across your keyboard. Luckily it wasn’t peeled.

Anyhoo, I arrived in Kathmandu two days before my trekking tour started and stayed for two days after it ended. Before my tour started, I didn’t really like Kathmandu all that much. I got scammed twice! The first time was at the airport by someone who carried my bags (which I had actually been warned about but somehow got done in anyway). I didn’t have any rupees at that point so gave the guy Thai Baht when he demanded money. The second time, I realized I was being scammed but played along because I got a walking tour of the city out of it. It was actually pretty informative and gave me a better idea of the layout of the city and I also thought it was amusing that the guy who was scamming me kept fending off other scammers who approached me. So that worked out sort of alright. I managed to purchase or rent all the warm clothes and trekking gear I needed and was happy to start my tour.


Wires!
Kathmandu traffic
Back alley





 
 
 
 
 
After my trekking was done, I hung out and did some sightseeing with some of my trekking-mates. We went to Boudhanath (big stuppa), Pashuptinath (where bodies are cremated… out in the open… it’s a bit odd for those who aren’t accustomed to the tradition), and Bhaktapur (ancient city, used to be the capital of Nepal. I really liked it here).
Boudhanath
Pashuptinath - those platforms are
where they burn the bodies












View from Pashuptinath
Bhaktapur - Pottery Square
 
 
 
 
Bhaktapur - Duttatraya
 
Bhaktapur - Durbar Square
 

 
 
 
Bhaktapur
Bhaktapur takeout place?
 










 

 
In the end, despite the rocky start, I was sad to leave Kathmandu. It’s in-your-face and chaotic but also pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment