Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Glasgow

I went to Glasgow on the weekend. It's only about an hour train ride (depending on how many stops the train makes) from Edinburgh, which makes it super easy to get to. I really enjoyed Glasgow and hope to go back (they have a Celtic festival in January that sounds appealing). It reminded me of a mix between Vienna and Toronto, which is weird because it's not really anything like either. Maybe Vienna for the history and the Christmas decorations and Toronto because it was chilly and there was a subway?

I went museum/gallery hopping while I was there, visiting the Lighthouse (architecture and design), the Gallery of Modern Art, the Glasgow Cathedral, St. Mungo's Museum of Religious Life and Art, and the People's Palace (history of life in Glasgow). Even though it wasn't my first old cathedral and I probably shouldn't have been so impressed, I was a bit amazed at the Glasgow Cathedral and how big and intricately designed it was for its time (I got caught up in the religious atmosphere and found myself thinking "Jesus Christ this is big!"). Most of the museums and galleries are free, as they are in Edinburgh as well, which I think this is a great idea and something we should copy in Canada (get on that, someone powerful in Canada... who no doubt is reading this...). To continue my newfound interest in history, I've now added the history of Glasgow to the list of things I want to learn more about.

Washroom signs at the Lighthouse
 

Not-so-great photo of inside the Glasgow Cathedral

I also took advantage of the sunny weather and walked around the Glasgow Necropolis, walked along the River Clyde and took in some buskers on Buchanan Street. One thing on my list that I didn't do was check out some live music (apart from the buskers). It was something I wanted to do but it turns out that I'm too chicken to go watch a band play by myself. I have no problems eating at a restaurant or sitting in a coffee shop by myself (even without a smart phone to keep me company) but I didn't feel confident enough to go to a club without backup. It's something I'll have to remedy because I missed out on a great opportunity.


Glasgow Necropolis
 


3 comments:

  1. Are those washroom signs meant to be funny or is that the norm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to be funny. Inside the ladies' washroom was a baby stick figure pointing out the baby change table and a beheaded stick man with his head on the floor beside him. I'm not sure what was in the men's washroom.

      Delete
  2. The Burrell Collection is really nice if you are looking for a gallery to visit! I agree, museums and galleries should be free to the public. I think a lot of them used to be in Ottawa but when a new government took over that all changed...so sad!

    ReplyDelete