| View of Edinburgh from a hill-top |
| More hills to explore |
I've also continued to learn a bunch of new things, which is great. I've learned that eggs are not refrigerated here (still seems a bit strange to open my cupboard and see eggs), underwear dries super quickly on a hot radiator (file this one under "things you learn when you don't have a clothes dryer"), baking soda is kept in the digestive aids aisle, and the @ button and the " button switch places on a UK keyboard (which makes for some invalid email addresses).
I think I can finally say that I now instinctively know which way to look before I cross the road. My problem now is that I'm so used to getting it wrong that I automatically second guess myself and end up looking the wrong way anyway. I try to sort it out by asking myself "which side would you drive on if you were in Canada?" and I think the best answer may be that I shouldn't drive for a while when I get back to Canada.
And so how long do the eggs last in the cupboard? Do you think that the shipping time to the store is significantly different than in Canada? I'm just wondering if we could do it here....
ReplyDeleteThe eggs have about the same time from when you buy them to when they expire as Canada (a couple weeks). I just checked my egg carton and it does say to refrigerate after purchase to maintain freshness so maybe I should be refrigerating them, but it seems a bit pointless when they're not refrigerated in the store (and probably on the way to the store). They're refrigerated in Canada because of salmonella risk, but I don't know if it's a difference in the egg handling between Canada and the UK or if it's just a risk tolerance thing. Pregnant women here (or at least the one I work with) are advised not to eat eggs because of the possibility of salmonella.
Delete