This weekend, I went back to Glasgow to take in some of the Celtic Connections festival (a festival celebrating Celtic music). I went to see two concerts: a bagpiping concert and an Irish/bluegrass/banjo concert. I am SO glad that I did this. It was just so much fun. I loved both concerts and I would have come back with a bagful of new CD's had I owned anything on which I could play them.
The piping concert had 4 acts in the first half and then the National Youth Pipe Band of Scotland in the second half. It was educational as well as entertaining. I learned that there is Spanish Celtic music (with Spanish bagpipes), which actually sounds like you think it would (bagpipes with a Spanish flair). And I learned that there are different types of bag pipes - traditional ones, Spanish ones and littler ones (the technical descriptions of course). I think my favorite act of this concert was Ross Ainslie and Jarlath Henderson, who basically just got on stage and jammed with their littler bagpipes (they were probably doing more than just jamming but that's how it came across). Not being a fan of watching jazz artists jam, watching two bagpipers play together was actually really entertaining.
The other concert featured We Banjo 3 and ChessBoxer. I don't really like bluegrass or banjo music so I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy this but even just watching We Banjo 3 play was awesome. They were so into what they were doing and having so much fun doing it that I think I sat there the whole time with a smile on my face. They were all incredibly talented and the music was fantastic as well (I love me an Irish reel). It was fabulous. I'd go see them again in a heartbeat.
And thus concludes the music review portion of my blog. And for the first time in a while, I'm finally all up to date with my blog posts, sorting through the piles of photos I've taken and posting photos on Facebook... plus I cleaned my room. I feel so productive!
No comments:
Post a Comment