Monday, 20 January 2014

London, again

After my parents went back home, I figured that I might get homesick again so I decided to distract myself with a trip and took off to London for 4 days. I was originally thinking of Amsterdam or Copenhagen but the flights just didn't work out and London was easier to get to. I'd been to London twice before but never on my own. It was supposed to be a relaxing trip where I spend some time holed up in my hotel room reading and relaxing to recover from a busy December, but in the little time I spent planning (an hour on the Internet the day before I went), I found all sorts of things I wanted to see and do. I ended up having a fantastic time running around London seeing and doing way too much stuff.


Tower Bridge and the Thames

 I took a self guided tour of some of the famous places in London:
  • Kings Cross Station (platform 9 3/4 from Harry Potter)
  • Paddington Station (a big place - I could see how a bear could get lost... or however that story goes)
  • Charing Cross Road (from "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West... and then I had that song in my head until I got back to Edinburgh)
  • London Bridge (wasn't falling down)
  • Trafalgar Square
  • Buckingham Palace
  • Westminster Abby
  • Camden Market (which I enjoyed way more than I thought I would)
  • Canary Wharf (which I learned was designed by a Canadian company)

View from Trafalgar Square

 I also found time to go to the Tate Modern (to see the parts of the collection that I didn't get to last time), the Docks Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum. I really enjoyed that Victoria and Albert Museum, which was a bonus because I was actually aiming for the Natural History Museum but there was a huge lineup full of screaming kids so I ducked into the Victoria and Albert Museum instead. I also went to see Stomp one night, which was a great show.
 
Looks like the angel is flipping people off, no?

I returned to Edinburgh tired and feverish but not homesick so I my plan worked... plus I had an awesome couple of days.

Art

1 comment: