At the end of February, my mom was in Manchester for a week so I went to meet her there and we rented a car and spent a long weekend in Anglesey, Wales. Anglesey's an island so we did a lot of walking along beaches and cliff tops, which were spectacular. We saw some of the damage from the storms they've been getting this winter and it looked quite frightening. I'm all for watching waves and rough seas but not when the breakwaters and sea walls are being pummelled to the point of crumbling.
 |
| Beach near Moelfre |
The town names on Anglesey were mostly Welsh (go figure), which led to some creative pronunciations and mumbled directions ("Turn left towards... uhh... Llan...errrr... uh... Turn left!").
 |
| Beach near Rhosneigr |
 |
| North Stack, Holy Island |
The weekend also provided me with my first opportunity to drive in the UK (on the other side of the road!). It took quite a bit of concentration at the beginning but by the end of the weekend, I mostly had the hang of it - although every time I got in the car, I reached on the wrong side for the seatbelt. I'm proud to say that no people or animals were harmed by my driving. I did hit a couple of curbs (or "kerbs", as they say here) but they had it coming.
 |
| Sunset over the ocean |
No comments:
Post a Comment