Sunday, 30 March 2014

Cambridge

I went to Cambridge with my aunt and uncle a couple weekends ago to see the university and the rest of the town. The weather was fantastic! It was sunny and warm and very spring-like. The trees were budding and all the daffodils were in bloom.

Daffodils by the River Cam

The university was not what I was expecting (although I'm not sure what I was expecting). The colleges were interesting but all seemed a bit secluded from each other even though they were right next door to each other. There's definitely a lot of history there and I wonder if you would really take it all in if you were studying there or if you would be so wrapped up in university life that the fact that your dorm room was 500 years old would just be a part of the background.

Mathematical Bridge

Kings College (and its pretty grass that you can't walk on)

We also went to the Kettle's Yard House, which is a collection of art displayed in a house. If you're interested, see here: http://www.kettlesyard.co.uk/. I found it interesting and, for me, it was easier to take in the art when it was displayed in a less pretentious way than at a traditionally gallery. The architecture of the house itself was nice as well.

Old books in a library at Cambridge

The same weekend, we also stopped in at the Museum of Natural History in Tring. It's a large Victorian House that is filled to bursting with dead stuffed animals, most courtesy of the former owner Lionel Walter, 2nd Baron Rothschild. There are an incredible number of animals in the museum which is quite awe inspiring when you first walk in and then starts leaning towards creepy the longer you stay. There was so much to look at that I actually didn't notice the two mounted elephant heads hanging on a wall until the second time I walked by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment