First stop in Cambodia was Siem Reap. We were there for 3-ish days. The first day we got in late so did a quick walking tour in the man touristy part of town.
 |
Let's open a convenience store...
now what should we call it? |
The second day we went to Angkor to have a look at some temples. We saw Angkor Wat (big and intricate), Angkor Thom (smiling Buddha temple) and Ta Prohm (reclaimed by the jungle, Tomb Raider movie location). I think my favourite was Ta Prohm (despite being painfully bitten by ants) because it was so beautifully mossy, broken down and peaceful. Angkor Thom was a close second though.
 |
| Angkor Wat |
 |
| Carvings at Angkor Wat |
 |
| Carvings at Angkor Wat |
 |
| Angkor Wat |
 |
| Angkor Wat |
 |
| Angkor Thom |
 |
| Angkor Thom |
 |
| Ta Prohm (see the stegosaurus carving?) |
 |
| Ta Prohm |
 |
| Ta Prohm |
On the third day, some of us went to a floating village (Kampong Phluk), which isn't actually floating but built on stilts to allow for flooding during the rainy season. It was neat to see and we bought some notebooks for the local school and got to spend a bit of time speaking English with the kids. It was really fun interacting with the kids and they were all so eager to practice. Really cute! After we got back I rented a bike and biked around Siem Reap. It was ok once I got used to the traffic (only turned right for a while because I was afraid of turning left). Plus I got to see some huge bats in a park!
 |
| Kampong Phluk |
 |
| Kampong Phluk |
 |
| Kampong Phluk |
 |
| Possibly my favorite picture from Cambodia |
You are so brave biking around. I would be terrified! And I didn't know that Indiana Jones was filmed in Cambodia. Very cool pics.
ReplyDelete